Thursday, July 24, 2008

TV For The Rest of Us

If you’re a guy and don’t love Thom Beers you need to have your testosterone levels checked. The guy is pure genius. Don’t know who Thom is? Ever heard of The Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers or Axe Men? I’m currently in talks with my congressman to pass a bill to make the Thom Beers Channel. All Thom Beers’: All the time. The man has done a phenomenal job of taking obscure manly jobs and presenting them in such a way that you can’t help but stop and watch. Deadliest Catch is by far my favorite. I love spending Tuesday nights with Sig, Phil, Jonathan and all the other boys. Trust me; I’m aware that I know WAY TOO much about the show. But I just can’t help myself. Then last night I’m flipping past TruTv, a channel I didn’t even know existed (I think it used to be Court TV) and stumble upon Black Gold. It’s a show about roughnecks on oil rigs. All I can say is WOW. There’s nothing like watching a bunch of high school drop outs work on an oil rig, go home and shower, head to a bar and stay until 4:30 AM only to roll back out to the rig at 5:00 AM. No teeth, no sense of morality and no clue as to the proper use of the English language (not that I’m much better). If that’s not good TV I don’t know what is. Basically Beers said to himself: “I’m gonna do shows that guys want to watch. If you’re a kid, teenager or women and don’t like it, I don’t care!” And it’s worked. Sure my eight year old loves Deadliest Catch. Yes my wife doesn’t mind watching it. But the show is done for me, your typical 30 something male. And I love it. He’s kind of like the Community Christian Church of TV land. TV For the Rest of Us. Guys hate Project Runway so Thom gave us Verminators. Guys hate singing I Surrender All * seventeen times so CCC gives them Jesus Bad Room Mate (oh just wait!). I think Thom Beers would like our church. Besides, with his last name he can’t be all that bad!

*Editor’s Note: I personally like the song I Surrender All (not the version I linked to). But I grew up singing it, so it stands to reason I would like it.

No comments: