Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Take me out to the ballgame

In light of yesterday’s post, Who’s Your Daddy, I would like to say that since then I have learned a few more things about being a dad. Although in many ways I still feel inadequate, I did learn 10 valuable dad things last night I want to share:
1. If you have an eight year old son it should me mandatory that you take him to a baseball game. Charlie and I went last night and it was a blast.
2. Boys can last as many innings as their age (i.e. a two year old can last two innings, five year old five innings, etc.) By the eighth inning Charlie was more interested in catching bugs then watching the game.
3. Dad’s should be more interested in taking their son to Tooner Filed then watching the game.
4. Every eight year olds favorite player (if a Braves fan) is Chipper Jones. Not a bad choice.
5. Eight year olds have no concept for what an accomplishment it is to achieve 3000 strikeouts.
6. Drunk people shouldn’t try to start the wave, especially during the singing of Take Me Out to the Ballgame.
7. Don’t worry about spending $7 on a hotdog, it’s well worth the look on your sons face to have a hotdog bigger then his head slap full of chili and cheese (jalapeños on the side for dad)
8. Don’t worry about spending $10 to park right next to the stadium.
9. Eight year olds have a better concept for money then you would think. They understand the logic behind NOT spending $5 on a bag of cotton candy.
10. Talk to your son during the game. Teach him the proper and non-obscene way to belittle the umpires and other team. Try until you’re blue in the face to explain basic concepts of balls, strikes, outs and foul balls. Make sure you do every tomahawk chop, Adam’s family clap and every “Budabubumpbaba CHARGE”. Promise you’ll take a three row, head first, bear handed dive for any foul balls that come close.
Baseball is a great game. There are so many things about it that make it great. Add an eight year old boy and it becomes perfect. Especially if that boy is as cool as my son!

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I have so many good memories of going to braves games with my grandfather. They involve a lot of that stuff!

Also from Papa I learned to simultaneously be certain that the braves would lose the current game but win the world series in october.

Adam said...

Im not sure I could get Mathew to sit still long enough to watch a ball game. I cant even get him to stop spinning in circles during his own soccer game

sarahd said...

I am so glad that you and Charlie had such a special "date". Thanks for writing about it!