Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I still get overwhelmed by how God uses a bunch of messed up people to do His work. Sometimes I get so focused on “task” that I forget to just let God use me. Well he most certainly used me this past Sunday. As I and Kelly Whisenhunt lead our Sunday morning small group, or “My Girls” as I call them (we vary rarely have any guys in our group, maybe one or two) we began our discussion on baptism. Based on information we had collected in the past we thought everyone in the group that morning had already been baptized. But as we went around the room we discovered that one young lady had not. It was at that moment that God really began to work. As we started into the lesson and came to some scripture reading this young lady was adamant about doing all the reading. She grabbed the Bible and started to read several passages related to baptism. As we talked about each one this very smart young women, who loves Jesus, realized that maybe baptism was the next step for her. Kelly and I had decided to head over for the end of second service so we could see everyone who getting baptized (the adults were teaching on baptism and giving people the opportunity to come forward). Of course we were both hoping she would decide to get baptized right then, but we didn’t want to pressure her into doing it. We decided to see what God would do. Anyway, we walked in toward the end of Jason’s message. He was talking about how the Bible talks about if we recognize Jesus here on earth He will acknowledge us in front of God, but if we reject Him, He will reject us in front of God. Then we went into an awesome song. Then this young lady leaned over to me, and with the innocence of a child, said “Mr. Kelley, will you baptize me today.” That, my friends, is why I do what I do. I love to speak in front of people and organize and plan wacky youth events. But for me, all that is worthless if they don’t lead teenagers to Christ. In all 19 people were baptized this past Sunday. I think God is really happy. I know I am, because now I know I’ll have at least one more friend with me in Heaven.

No comments: