Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cool HYPE United Story

Well, our first HYPE United was this past Sunday night. I’ve just now had the chance to really sit down a process everything. I must say it came off better then I expected. Everyone did their part, especially God.

I just want to relay one really cool story that came out of our first United. A friend of mine has been trying to get a lady she works with to come to church. The woman has a daughter that is in 6th grade. According to my friend, this girl is really into wicken, witchcraft and all that stuff. Now, I don’t know if she’s like a practicing wicken or not, or if she just thinks it’s cool. Point being this girl (and presumable her mother) are FAR from God. Well, she ended up coming with my friend to HYPE United, and she LOVED it. She can’t wait to come back. My friend was so excited! I was too. Now, here’s the really cool thing for me. This young girl happens to go to the same school as my kids go to. This morning when I dropped them off this girl, who I’ve seen several times but has never spoken to me, yells from across the room “Mr. Kelley, Mr. Kelley”, I see her and say “hi”. She then says “That Mr. Roboto video was weird!” At first I have no idea what the heck she’s talking about. Then it dawns on me she’s gone on-line and voted for our upcoming VMAs. Sometimes I get so engrossed in planning activities and worrying about what our regular kids will think about them that I lose track of why we do all this in the first place. This young girl now has a connection to our church because of a silly music video we put on line.

I wonder sometimes, at the end of the day, if God looks down and sees all the stuff we’re doing and says “Well, that’s certainly one way to do it. I guess I’ll just have to use that to get that 6th grade girl I’ve wanted to reach out to.” Here’s the really freaky thing that crosses my mind: Did God put that song in Dennis DeYoung’s (founding member of Styx) mind 25 years ago with the sole purpose of reaching this young lady? I know, that sound like a stretch. But, how else would an individual figure out a way to work the lyrics “Domo arigato” into a rock song?

4 comments:

Andrew said...

awesome, awesome, awesome.

simon said...

Wow, I cant believe that my groups crazily stupid idea that I am was once proud to have nothing to do with, and no am sad, actually did that!!! That is the coolest thing ever!!! ROCK ON TO THAT SONG!!! I have got to meet this girl man.

Anonymous said...

It's actually Wiccan, I think, not Wicken.

Anonymous said...

Regardless of the spelling (no pun intended), I think everyone gets the point.